Monday, January 6, 2014

Mommy & Me and Changes Coming...

This weekend I attempted to stay off my feet as much as possible. Last week when I went to the Doctor she advised me that if we wanted little Miss to stay put a bit longer than it would be best if I took it easy as much as possible. Of course, we all know that's not exactly easy with a toddler and the major nesting that I would like to be doing. Luckily Clark was home a couple days last week and he has been such a huge help.

We enjoyed a little time outside before the cold front came through Sunday, picked out a paint color for the nursery,  (yes, we are incredibly behind on baby girl's room) and did a whole lot of relaxing. Nothing to eventful but I am still trying to remember to cherish these little moments with Owen as much as I can. Life is about to get very hectic I suspect.






Our Mommy and Me picture this week was actually from Thanksgiving. I don't think I've shared it yet? I am attempting to organize all my pictures this week and this one caught my eye. I just love Owen's face in this picture. Pure excitement to get to "drive" Uncle Matt's "truck."






I  finally started an Instagram account for Dear Owen: Everyday Speech and Language and was blown away with every one's thoughtful comments and support. If you would like to follow along the account is (@dearoeverydayspeechandlanguage) I plan on sharing simple activities, tips for encouraging language development, and new products added to the shop.

A friend of mine asked for recommendations for books for her 6 month old so I put together some recommendations and tips for reading to babies and toddlers and shared it on IG so I thought I would share it here also for anyone else interested.




These- plus a few of the DK baby touch and feel books make up our favorite books for 6-12 months. We try and choose books that are colorful, bright and realistic, sweet and sentimental and have good rhythm and rhyme. 










 Tips for Reading to babies and Toddlers-

1. Read face to face. Maybe not all the time but switch it up occasionally so your baby can see your face while reading. 

 2. Be animated-use facial expressions, vary your pitch, use hand gestures, etc. 

3. Remember to label more than just nouns while reading or pointing to pictures in the story. Use verbs, descriptors, locations, and emotions.

 4. Occasionally simplify the  language  of the story to 2-3 words.

5. Don't be afraid to modify the story- shorten it, make it relate-able, try and get them interacting.

6. Let your baby hold the book, turn the pages-explore book.

7. When reading to toddlers remember to ask and answer questions together.

8. When your child starts to use words-remember to expand on what they've said by adding a word to their utterance.



*******************************************************************************

As for changes coming-Mommy and Me is going to start looking a little different. Starting next Monday, January 13th Leah will be kicking off  "Mommy School"  this is going to be a great way for us Mom's to not only teach our little's something new each week but also to break the boredom that can sometimes creep up, especially during these winter months. She will be sharing crafts, activities, books and even snacks that are all centered around a two week theme.  And I am thrilled to be contributing with a speech/ language enrichment section. You can read more about "Mommy School"here.

So now, Mommy and Me will not only be about sharing pictures which I am sure a lot of us will still try and do. But we can also share about successes we are seeing in our children, moments that make you feel proud, or just simple moments that you never want to forget.

Let's celebrate the joy of motherhood... together!!!




Looking forward to a great week ahead (and for another Dr.'s appointment Tuesday :)


10 comments:

hello erin said...

i love these reading tips. and i love mommy school! we're totally always looking for fun new things to do (even if its 70 here and we can fully get outside). Keep off those feet, while i can't wait for claire to come, she needs a little more growing!!

Jasam Caldwell said...

We have the Pajama Time book! I just started to read more to my daughter, so I am going to use this list and tips for reading. Thank you for sharing!

Ashley @ Words About Waverly said...

Love this idea and the tips!!! And rest lots momma!!! Xo

Ashley @ Words About Waverly said...

Love this idea and the tips!!! And rest lots momma!!! Xo

Courtney Sweet said...

I love Owen's face in that picture - super cute! I love the idea of mommy school too, sounds like a great idea.

Elizabeth said...

I love this! I'm a new reader and my son is 17 months and a little behind in speech. I've been taking him to therapy. Thank you so much for the activities! It is so helpful. I have no idea where to start and how to help him so this is perfect!

Shannon N. said...

Thank you! My daughter has cochlear implants and I am looking for some therapy for her to do at home, beyond her scheduled therapy.

Desiree Macke said...

LOVE all the great tips. We've already implemented several during reading time.
Try to stay rested, momma! :)

April R said...

Hi, I just found your blog, and it is very interesting! My son is 3 years old, and having some speech trouble. I am a stay at home mom, and I'd really like to do everythin I can, to help him myself, before getting outside help, or before he starts school. I wish I could just download everything from your brain, about Speech Language Pathology, to mine, so I would know exactly what to do, to help him. We have been using (and loving!) the Articulation Station app, and it is helping already! Do you have any other tips/ advice in which I can help him?

Emily said...

Hi April! I would love to chat with you about your son. Just email me with a contact email since your blogger profile isn't connected to your email. Thanks!!! Talk soon!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS